Elvis Muffins



It seems like quite frequently on Cupcake Wars I see someone attempt an "Elvis" cupcake.  This usually consists of a peanut butter frosting on a banana cake or some version of the two.  Not being a huge Elvis buff, I was not aware of the connection until I heard it explained.  Apparently Elvis is known for his peanut butter banana sandwiches.  Once you try the combination, especially in a dessert, it's hard to see why it isn't more common.

I decided to try a spin on a healthier cupcake, more of a muffin consistency.  I was looking for something to serve at a 5K.  I wanted something that would taste good, but be somewhat healthier and give the runner some extra protein.  I looked around online and finally found an amazing sounding banana bread.  I found it through Pinterest and it is from the Cooking Light magazine. It was different than other banana bread recipes as it was a peanut butter banana bread with a peanut butter drizzle. It sounded delicious! With ground flaxseed, chopped peanuts, AND peanut butter the muffin has a rich nutty taste.  Pair that with the banana flavor, and you have a tasty muffin!

I also added a light amount of the peanut butter drizzle to the top of the muffin.  This drizzle is very sweet, and so I figured just a little taste of sweet would elevate the muffins.  Once I tried this simple peanut butter drizzle, though, I knew it would be perfect in a larger quantity for a regular cupcake!  My husband and I both kept tasting the drizzle, it tastes like melted peanut butter fudge.  I would definitely plan on making extra drizzle.  If you are like me, I'm sure you will find some use for it.  Even if it's just to lick the spoon!

Along with the flaxseed protein source, the muffins are made healthier by using fat free yogurt and low fat milk. I also just used a very small amount of the sweet drizzle on the muffins.

My only concern when I started the recipe was if the recipe would translate as a muffin, rather than a loaf of bread.  I decided to go ahead and experiment since I had a few days before the race.  I had just received my new upright mixer, so I was looking for an excuse to bake anyway!


In the end, I think it turned out pretty well.  I had to adjust the baking time and try to determine how much they would rise, to figure out how full to fill the liners. I might tweak a couple things, but all in all I think they turned out well for a first attempt. I think they are a treat fitting for the King.  :)

Elvis Muffin Ingredients (yields 18 muffins):
  • 1 1/2  cups  mashed ripe banana
  • 1/3  cup  plain fat-free yogurt
  • 1/3  cup  creamy peanut butter
  • 3  tablespoons  butter, melted
  • 2  large eggs
  • 1/2  cup  granulated sugar
  • 1/2  cup  packed brown sugar
  • 6.75  ounces  all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/4  cup  ground flaxseed
  • 3/4  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 1/8  teaspoon  ground allspice
  • 2  tablespoons  chopped dry-roasted peanuts

 Peanut Butter Glaze Ingredients:
  • 1/3  cup  powdered sugar
  • 1  tablespoon  1% low-fat milk
  • 1  tablespoon  creamy peanut butter

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Line muffin tin with 18 cupcake liners.
  3. Beat the bananas, yogurt, peanut butter, butter, and eggs at medium speed until combined.
  4. Add granulated and brown sugars and beat again until blended.
  5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, flaxseed, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.  I didn't have any allspice but found a trick online to create some with more common spices.  I combined equal parts cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to create the spice.
  6. Fill cupcake liners with muffin batter, filling about 3/4 full.
  7. Bake muffins until top is golden and toothpick comes out clean. Oven temperatures can vary, but mine were finished at around 24 minutes.  I would start checking around 20 minutes.
  8. Cool completely.
  9. While cooling, create the peanut butter glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar, milk, and peanut butter.
  10. Once muffins are cooled, drizzle glaze over the top.

Popular Posts