Marshmallow Fondant


Mondays are usually when I share my latest cake decorating ideas or cupcake toppers. I've had a little bit of a lull lately in regards to cakes. I have several coming up in July, so I decided to take this little break and work on some new techniques! When I first started baking and blogging, I only worked with cupcakes. I used snacks, candy, and other edible items to decorate the cupcakes. After some classes, I moved on to cakes and piping techniques for decorating cakes and cupcakes. I was still hesitant about moving into fondant, it seemed so overwhelming!  I finally did get into it, though, and I've never looked back. I love sculpting 3D shapes, as well as making flat logos and shapes. One thing I have still yet to do, though, is make my own fondant. 

All the fondant cake decorations that I have previously worked with have been made with store bough fondant. It works really well, but doesn't taste that great... Last week, I decided to try to make some my own. I wanted to see how easy it was, and how delicious it tasted. I found a recipe on a site I belong to, Cake Central. It's a great community where various bakers can write in and share ideas, recipes, tips, etc. This particular recipe was for using a stand mixer. Now if you don't have a stand mixer, you can still make this recipe. But, it just saves time and arm power!

This recipe turned out great. It was just as easy to use as a store bought type, but tastier! Next time, though, I think I will use a little vanilla. I've seen that in other recipes and it would make the taste even better. The recipe below is half of the original recipe, it yields around 1.5 lbs. You can either color the melted marshmallows (if you are wanting all the fondant one color), or you can dye it after it is finished.

Homemade Marshmallow Fondant ingredients:
  • 8 oz mini marshmallows
  • 1 lb powdered sugar
  • 2 tbs water
  • Shortening
  • Tool: KitchenAid mixer with dough hook
Homemade Marshmallow Fondant directions:
  • Cover every inch of your stand mixing bowl, as well as the dough hook, with shortening. Make sure and get a good coating to prevent anything from sticking.
  • Put the marshmallows and water in a bowl
  • Melt in a microwave safe bowl in 30 sec intervals (it took me just 1 min)
  • Pour in half of the powdered sugar in the stand mixer bowl
  • Top the sugar with the melted marshmallows
  • Mix on low until the marshmallow and powdered sugar is completely combined
  • Pour in the rest of the powdered sugar (I put the shield on this time to prevent the sugar from flying around)
  • Mix on low until combined (if using a lower powdered mixer, you may need to finish up by kneading by hand)
  • Spread shortening all over the plastic wrap
  • Dump out fondant onto plastic wrap (scraping it out if needed)
  • Knead by hand for a couple minutes
  • Cover the fondant up in the plastic wrap and let sit for 30 mins
  • You can dye fondant if needed and then mold, cut, etc

I will definitely be incorporating this into future cakes!

Don't forget to follow me on social media, or follow my blog to stay up to date with the latest posts and pictures.

Popular Posts