Liven Up Your Muffin Mix

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

Since working on my blog, I've gained an appreciation for cooking/baking from scratch. I used to mainly cook/bake from mixes, but I've branched out to include fresh ingredients. Sometimes, though, it's nice to be able to quickly throw together a meal using a mix, particularly if the results are still tasty. For me, there's a certain type of mix that is my go-to for quick blueberry muffins.

While I love these muffins, I decided to experiment a bit with them. Why not see if they could be even better?! By adding one simple ingredient, I was able to transform these ordinary muffins. I would ask you to guess, but the picture already gave it away...it's lemon!

Lemon is a great complement to blueberry, so I figured it would be a perfect addition to the mix. I just added 1 1/2 tbs of lemon zest (roughly a small to regular sized lemon) to the batter. This simple addition to the mix completely changed the flavor and added a fresh twist to the muffins.

I made these one night last week and we had them for breakfast the next morning. Both my husband and I thought it was a good ratio of blueberry to lemon, I would stick with the zest of a small-regular sized lemon for every 6 muffins.

Simple Lemon Blueberry Muffin ingredients:
  • Blueberry mix
  • 1/2 cup milk (or whatever ingredients were needed for mix)
  • 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest (1 small lemon per 6 muffin0
Simple Lemon Blueberry Muffin directions:
  • Preheat oven to 425F
  • Zest lemon
  • Mix blueberry muffins per directions
  • Mix in lemon zest
  • Spray muffin tin with cooking spray
  • Spoon batter into muffin tins
  • Bake around 10 mins

Popular Posts