Lemon Meltaway Cookies


Do you ever get a craving to bake something sweet only to discover you are missing key ingredients? It's been a while since I baked sweet treats, but the other night I was having a craving for cookies - specifically lemon cookies. I soon discovered, though, that I was out of eggs...typically a key ingredient to making cookies. I didn't want to head to the grocery, so I decided to find an eggless cookie recipe.

Besides saving me a trip to the store, it also gave me an opportunity to try my hand at alternate ways to bake. I've had a few requests for specialty baked treats that meet dietary restrictions including egg free, dairy free, and gluten free. I've really only tried egg free desserts that I hadn't had much luck with...until this cookie recipe!

Baking a cookie without eggs wasn't the only obstacle I ran into with this recipe. I started by following a recipe I found online. After following the directions to the letter, I ended up with a crumbly mess! The recipe definitely seemed like it didn't have enough liquid (especially with the exclusion of the eggs). But, I wasn't expecting it to be so crumbly. I decided to add some lemon juice until it got to a better dough consistency. Thankfully, that worked!

These cookies have such a light texture and consistency from the powdered sugar, they just melt in your mouth! I added even more lemon flavor by creating a lemon icing for the top of the cookies. It was a bit thick, so I iced them while they were still warm. I even added a dash of fresh lemon zest to the top of the cookies, for an extra kick of fresh flavor.

Lemon Meltaway Cookie ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • Lemon icing:
    • 1 cup powdered sugar
    • 1- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
    • 1 tsp lemon zest
Lemon Meltaway Cookie instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Cream together softened butter and powdered sugar
  • Mix in lemon zest and lemon juice
  • Blend in flour until just combined
  • Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper
  • Spoon out teaspoon sized balls of dough and place on paper
  • Bake around 10 mins
  • While baking, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest - start with 1 tsp and keep adding lemon juice until you hit the right consistency
  • Let cookies cool 5 mins
  • Cover top of cookies with icing while they continue to cool
  • Top with fresh lemon zest

Popular Posts